101 Fun Birthday Interview Questions for Kids + Free Printable
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you click a link and purchase something. Please check out my disclosure policy for more details. All opinions are my own!
Have you heard about birthday interviews for kids and are ready to make your own?
Instead of coming up with all your own kids’ birthday interview questions, check out this post for birthday question ideas, a printable PDF of the kids birthday interview, or use this as a guide to create a kids birthday interview video.
You’ll love this fun tradition and hearing your child’s interests and answers change as they get older.
My only regret?
That I didn’t start this sooner with my kids!
<—Pin it! Save this post for later!
What is a Birthday Interview?
A birthday interview is a fun list of questions to ask kids every year on their birthday.
Think of it as a year-end interview reflecting on the most important parts of their year and some of their favorite things.
Some of the questions are basic, like how old are you or what’s your favorite color?
While others can be more funny or quirky, like what’s the silliest sound you can make. 🤪
Birthday interviews can be filled out on a printable PDF like the one below or you can make a cute and fun video of your child – either way, you’ll have a fun way to remember all the fun and “regular” things about your child each year of their life.
How To Do A Birthday Interview
A birthday interview for kids can be as simple or complicated as you choose.
First, choose how you’ll do the interview – on video or on paper?
Then gather your questions (or use the printable PDF below) and start asking away.
Save their answers or upload them to the cloud to make sure you can save their fun responses and compare their answers year after year.
Birthday Interview Questions for Kids
Interview Questions for Toddlers and Preschoolers
These birthday interview questions are geared towards younger kids as they’re more basic and easy to answer.
You don’t want your child to lose too much steam thinking about the questions for too long!
- Happy Birthday! How old are you today?
- When is your birthday?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite animal?
- What is your favorite book?
- Who is your best friend?
- What is your favorite food?
- What do you love to do?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What is your favorite toy?
- What’s your favorite treat?
Interview Questions for Older Kids
The birthday questionnaire can continue for older children with these fun questions.
- What is your favorite song?
- What are you really good at?
- What’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you?
- What’s the best thing that’s ever happened to you?
- Where do you want to live when you grow up?
- Do you want to get married when you grow up?
- Do you want your own kids some day? How many?
- What’s something you learned this year?
- What’s something you want to learn next year?
- What’s one wish you have for before your next birthday?
- What’s the best thing about being [AGE]?
- Do you have any pets? Tell me about them.
- What is your favorite thing about your birthday?
- What do you want most for your birthday this year?
- If you had a million dollars, what would you buy?
- What is your favorite place to go on your birthday?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- What was your favorite trip this year?
- What’s your favorite outfit?
- What makes you happy?
- What are some highlights from the past year?
- What could you not live without?
- If you could invent something, what would it be?
- What school do you go to?
- Who’s your favorite teacher?
- If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- If you could be any animal which would you be?
- What is the perfect way to celebrate your birthday?
- What was the best gift you received this year?
- What’s a rule you’d like to change?
- What is your favorite school subject?
- What’s your least favorite subject?
- What’s something that annoys you?
- If you were the President for 1 day, what would you do?
- What is your favorite game to play with friends?
- What is your favorite sport?
- Who is your favorite teacher?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- What is your favorite video game?
- What is your favorite thing to do on weekends?
- What is your favorite outdoor activity?
- What is your favorite indoor activity?
- What is your favorite type of food?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
- What is your favorite candy?
- What is your favorite type of pizza?
- What’s your favorite fruit?
- What’s your favorite vegetable?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- Where is your favorite place to visit?
- What is your favorite type of weather?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What is your favorite season?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your family?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your friends?
- What is your favorite thing to do by yourself?
- What is your favorite book series?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you’re bored?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you’re sad?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you’re happy?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you’re angry?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a long car ride?
- What is your favorite hobby?
- What is your favorite thing about your family?
- What is your favorite thing about your friends?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your siblings?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your mom?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your dad?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your grandparents?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your cousins?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a lazy day?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a snow day?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a hot day?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a cold day?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a day off from school?
- What is your favorite thing to do at the beach?
Funny Questions for the Birthday Interview
Ready to add some extra giggles and fun to the kids’ birthday interview? Try adding these questions in annually to add to the new tradition.
- How much is a gallon of milk?
- How much does a car cost?
- What’s mom and dad’s jobs?
- How old are mom and dad?
- Make the silliest sound you can (for a video interview)
- Make a super silly face (for a video interview)
- What’s the funniest joke you know?
Thoughtful Birthday Interview Questions for Kids (Deeper Questions)
These interview questions will make your child think a little harder and deeper. But the answers will be totally worth it!
- Tell me about a time you were proud of yourself.
- How have you helped out others lately?
- What’s something you’re thankful for?
- What do you love to do that no one knows about?
- What was the most challenging new thing you tried this year?
- What’s something new you want to try or master this upcoming year?
- What do you think you will be like when you are older?
Birthday Interview PDF
This birthday interview free printable comes as a PDF file to get you started on a great birthday tradition.
These free printable birthday interview questions are super adorable and great to use in a classroom or at home as you create new favorite birthday traditions.
Just a reminder that this is for personal use only.
How to Make a Kids Birthday Interview Video
Making a kids’ birthday interview video is a great way to capture memories and create a fun keepsake for your child to look back on.
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Plan the questions
Before you start filming, plan out the questions you want to ask your child. Keep them age-appropriate and fun, such as “What’s your favorite color?” or “What’s your favorite food?” You could also ask questions about their current interests or what they want to be when they grow up.
2. Set up the filming area
Choose a location with good lighting and minimal background noise. Consider decorating the area with balloons and birthday decorations to make it more fun and festive.
3. Film the interview
Set up your camera or smartphone on a tripod or stable surface and begin the interview.
Encourage your child to have fun and answer the questions in their own way.
Try to keep the interview under 10 minutes to keep your child’s attention.
4. Edit the video
Once you have finished filming, use video editing software to trim any unnecessary footage and add titles or captions to the video.
You could also add fun animations or music to make the video more engaging.
5. Share the video
Finally, share the video with family and friends. You could upload it to social media, send it via email or messaging app, or burn it onto a DVD as a special keepsake for your child.
Remember, the most important thing is to have fun and capture memories that you and your child can look back on for years to come.
When Should You Start Doing Birthday Interviews?
As soon as your child is able to talk, you can start doing birthday interviews!
In the early toddler years, you’ll likely need to keep the number of questions relatively small (under 10) and simple to answer.
But there’s no reason you can’t start when your child is young – some may be able to participate at 2 years old!
If you missed the early childhood years, don’t panic.
It’s never too late to start doing annual birthday interviews with your child.
How Many Questions Should I Ask For A Birthday Interview?
It’s totally up to you how many questions you decide to ask for your child’s birthday interview.
However, I recommend you consider the following things when choosing your birthday questions:
- Child’s age
- Child’s attention span
Remember, more isn’t always better 😉
What Questions Do You Ask A Birthday Girl or Boy?
Figuring out which questions to ask a birthday girl or boy doesn’t have to be complicated.
Just look through the list above and determine what looks appropriate for your child’s age and interests.
Almost every child can answer the basic questions such as:
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your favorite food?
What Do I Do With The Kids Birthday Interview After They’re Done?
I hear ya, you don’t want extra junk or papers lying around your house.
That being said, this is a pretty extra special tradition you’ll want to hang on to.
If you’re wondering what to do with the birthday interview once they’re done with it so you don’t lose it from year to year, here’s my recommendations:
- File it in your child’s memory/keepsake box/filing cabinet
- Add it to your child’s baby books
- Create a Birthday Interview Book filled with all the questions from year to year and keep it as a great keepsake
- Take a picture or scan it and upload it to your Google Drive (make sure to make a folder for [child’s name] birthday interviews so it’s easy to find)
- Make a video of your child answering the birthday interview and upload that to Google Drive or the cloud
The Best Questions to Ask Kids On Their Birthdays Each Year
I hope you found some great questions to ask your children on their birthdays every year!
I love this new tradition and would love to hear if you’ve started to implement it as well.